Commission Work for Adrian Fisher Design LTD

Commission work from Adrian Fisher. I was asked to digitally render and colour an image for them to use in a Mirror Maze, in Tennessee.

The original arch artwork was designed by Nigel Searle, an independent sign-writer and artist working in the south of England.

The Series - Variants

Here’s a couple of variants on the colour, I was just playing around with making it look more like a unified set colour-wise. I still prefer the blue tone image over the more orange/red tinted one.

Context?I couldn’t really but the images in context as they would be printed within a book. I am going to get the images printed professionally as I really want to see them on paper, not just on a screen.
For this I am going to get them printed on high quality art card as I love the texture to it, and how it really makes the images and colour come to life.
I’ve also taken a screenshot of the Folio Society’s website, and edited my cover and illustrations onto their books; just because I could! 

Context?

I couldn’t really but the images in context as they would be printed within a book. I am going to get the images printed professionally as I really want to see them on paper, not just on a screen.

For this I am going to get them printed on high quality art card as I love the texture to it, and how it really makes the images and colour come to life.

I’ve also taken a screenshot of the Folio Society’s website, and edited my cover and illustrations onto their books; just because I could! 

Final Images

Here are my final images for The Bloody Chamber competition.

- The Bloody Chamber

- Puss-in-Boots

- The Company of Wolves

- Cover Binding

Ink, watercolour and Photoshop.

The three illustrations were drawn by hand with an ink pen as line drawings. I then coloured using watercolour, and retouched the images with textures and digital painting in Photoshop CS4.

The binding cover was created solely in Photoshop, as I wanted a crisp screen printed look (but I suck at screen printing).

WIP Screenshots of my ‘The Company of Wolves’ Illustration

- Ink, Watercolour and Photoshop CS4

I wasn’t sure wether the blue or red tinted image looked better? I prefer the look of the blue image, but I feel that the red one fits in more with the colours of the others, and the cover binding, making it look more like a series. 

WIP Screenshots of my ‘Puss-in-Boots’ Illustration

- Ink, Watercolour and Photoshop CS4

WIP Screenshots of my ‘The Bloody Chamber’ Illustration

- Ink, Watercolour and Photoshop CS4

Cover Binding Ideas

Here are some ideas I had for “The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories”.

At first I thought of using the key, as it is the crux of the title story (The Bloody Chamber). I wanted it to be dark, which is why I went with the black cover. I used vibrant colours like the red and white as I wanted them to stand out sharply - there is also the theme of blood being red.

Blood comes up a lot in the stories, as they are all quite violent. But the author, Angela Carter, also uses it in a symbolic way relating to the female menstrual cycle.

I also thought the Werewolf would be quite a good idea, mainly as it was my favourite Illustration! but also because of the gothic horror settings of some of the stories.

Watercolour Designs

Here are the designs for my entries into The Bloody Chamber competition.

- The Bloody Chamber

- Puss-in-Boots

- The Company of Wolves

The designs were drawn with an ink pen, and then coloured with watercolours. What I didn’t realise however that the ink wasn’t water resistant and decided it would be nice to dissolve! I think this looks ok on the Werewolf image, as it creates a mottled fur-eque look, but I don’t like how it looks on the other two images.

To solve this I am going to scan them into Photoshop and add digital colour, hopefully keeping the texture of the watercolour and that of the paper itself. 

Clobber Flyers

In my crit I spoke to Lisa, who suggested expanding the project further. I thought this was probably a good idea to do, but I didn’t want to get too dragged down by this particular image, as I wanted to focus more on the Bloody Chamber images for the House Of Illustration Competition.

In response to that I have created these series of flyers quickly, just by taking the figures from the composition and rearranging them a little so they are on there own.

I then added some information about the shop, its address, location on a google map screenshot etc and added some details to make it look a little older and worn.

I also created black and white, as well as sepia toned versions of these flyers as an experiment - although I like the coloured ones much more.